Friday, October 18, 2013

An Arranged Marriage by Jan Hahn

"Can a marriage of convenience ever lead to true love? Immediately after Elizabeth Bennet refuses Mr. Darcy's proposal at Hunsford, her father dies, leaving Longbourn entailed away and little fortune to sustain his widow and daughters. Six months later, the Bennet family receives a visitor with a most unusual offer that promises to save the family from financial and social ruin. Elizabeth's sense of duty forces her to enter into an arranged marriage with a man she does not even like. Told from Elizabeth's point of view, An Arranged Marriage is a compelling twist on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Can Elizabeth overcome her feelings of anger, resentment, and suspicion toward her new husband and - the most bewildering sensation of all - a growing attraction for the last man in the world she ever wished to marry?"



This really was a compelling read.  I couldn't put it down. It is told completely from Lizzy's point of view and this made it seem almost like a diary, it was brilliant. I got completely wrapped up in the story as I was reading it and I felt as though I was Lizzy!

Mr Darcy is adorable. I pitied him to begin with as Lizzy is rather rude to him, but then again, Lizzy is bound to fight him - she has been forced into a marriage with a man she doesn’t like, so she is always thinking the worst of him! (There were times when I could have slapped her!)

It is also clear that Lizzy is fighting her growing feelings for Mr Darcy and there are many sweet moments between them - it is clear they are made for each other, even if Lizzy doesn't want to acknowledge it! 

Lizzy had a great relationship with Georgiana and I enjoyed seeing her influence rub off on Georgiana.  Georgiana also had a wonderful and fun relationship with Col. Fitzwilliam – Col. Fitzwilliam is such a great character to explore further in these variations!

As things begin to work out between Darcy and Lizzy and their relationship grows it is heart warming to read, seeing the trust grow and all the misunderstandings and misconceptions sorted out.  Together they are such an amazing married couple and the relationship is obviously going to work and once they have put the misunderstandings behind them, the conversations they then have are the sweetest! Many familiar conversations from the original pop up here and there, often in different situations and spoken by different people, which I always enjoy reading.

I haven't read a book this quickly in a while, which must be a good thing! This truly was a romantic, gripping, at times heart-rending and at other times heart-warming tale of misunderstandings and misconceptions and the journey of hate turned to love and the importance of trust in a marriage of convenience to the last man in the world you ever wished to marry!
 
This is definitely one of my new favourite Pride and Prejudice variations - and I have now read quite a few!
 
Your affectionate friend,
post signature

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this variation before today and I thank you for your review! Now I want to read it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so worth reading! Definiatley now one of my favourite variations!

      Delete
    2. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete

  2. I came in search for a spiritual helper who could restore marriage and make him come back to me and our 2 kids again; on my search i saw people sharing testimony on how broken marriages was restored by Robinson Buckler and i pick his email and told him the problem that i was going through, and he agreed to help me and told me never to worry. After he had finished his prayer, on the second day, they both had a quarrel and he left his girlfriend and he came back home begging me to forgive him that his eyes are clear now that he will never do any thing that will hurt his family again and promise to be a caring father and never to cheat on me again. I am so happy that i did not lose him to the girl and all appreciation goes to Robinson buckler for his great work. To you all that are faced with marital or relationship breakup, please contact him now on robinsonbucler@gmail.com....……https://robinbuckler.com…………^*"*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lucid content. Your knowledge on the subject and dedication is overtly visible.
    Thanks!
    https://www.aryasamajcourtmarriage.in/arya-samaj-marriage-in-agra/

    ReplyDelete

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible," therefore I would dearly love for you to comment and let me know what you think!

Thank you for stopping by Laughing With Lizzie and I hope you will take the time to visit again before too long!